1. Sources and categories of personal information
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of its products and services, Yamaha may collect your personal information. Yamaha collects the following kinds of personal information.
- Name, date of birth, email address and physical address, phone number, gender, occupation, place of work or study, information regarding social media, user ID and account, membership number, information regarding visits to stores, and products and services purchased
- Cultural information including your country of birth, which may result in Yamaha incidentally collecting sensitive information about your racial or ethnic origin
- Information provided via questionnaires or campaigns
- Information necessary for product or service transactions or support (serial number, purchasing history, credit card information, bank account numbers, and the like)
- Information generated from use of products and services (methods of use for products, frequency of use, settings information in devices used, and the like)
- Information generated from inquiries to Yamaha (your phone number and voice recordings obtained upon inquiries, history of requests for repairs and the like, information regarding product or service difficulties, and the like)
- Information generated from transactions with Yamaha (history of participation in concerts, events, auditions, and contests held or co- sponsored by Yamaha (including voice recordings and information regarding instrumental or singing performances), history of participation in music school classes, courses, and the like operated by Yamaha (including voice recordings and information regarding instrumental or singing performances), purchasing or use history for products and services handled by Yamaha, history of licenses, use, and the like for artworks (including musical pieces) in which Yamaha owns rights)
- Downloading and status of use of software, etc.
- Information generated from the use of software or the internet (information obtained from cookies, etc, information regarding browsers and operating systems of devices you use, location information, service use information, webpages you browse, links you click, emails from Yamaha you open, IP addresses, and the like)
- Types of devices, their O.S. versions, countries of access, number of users, access dates and times
- Information provided by questionnaires or campaigns conducted by outside services with your prior consent, information disclosed by customers
- Information provided by business operators who perform services using information that can distinguish between, but not identify, individual persons (advertising identifiers, etc.)
- Information on social media services affiliated with Yamaha websites, etc. (with your consent)
Yamaha may also hold other personal information provided by you.
2. How does Yamaha collect personal information?
If Yamaha obtains your personal information, it obtains your personal information in a proper and lawful manner.
Generally, Yamaha collects your personal information directly from you, through completion of an online or hardcopy form (such as an application, enrolment, promotional or warranty form), participation in online or in-person marketing promotions, interaction with commercial email communications including Yamaha’s customer preference centre, or other verbal or written exchanges with Yamaha including through our website.
There may be occasions when Yamaha collects your personal information from other sources such as from a family member or representative, an information services provider, third-party such as a lead generation company, or a publicly maintained record. Generally, Yamaha will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information from you, or if the information relates to a child under the age of 18 years and requires a guardian’s authority.
When using Yamaha’s website, it may contain links to other websites including the websites of Yamaha’s commercial partners.
3. Purposes of use and disclosure of personal information
Yamaha collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information where it is reasonably necessary for the following purposes. The legal basis for processing your personal information may be changed in accordance with specific laws and rules.
- Provision, maintenance, protection, and improvement of Yamaha’s products and services, development of new products and services, provision of information on campaigns, new products, and the like, implementation of questionnaires, after-sales service for products, and protection of customers
- Conducting promotional activities and identifying and informing you of products and services that may be of interest to you
- Providing commercial credit to business associates (however, Yamaha does not provide or otherwise handle information about consumer credit)
- Provision of information and content that suit each customer’s preferences
- Contact regarding transactions, etc.
- Provision of products and services handled by Yamaha
- Performance of agreements executed with Yamaha (payment processing, etc.)
- Management of copyrights and neighboring rights for sound sources
- Implementation of service activities and handling of repairs during the warranty period and after-sales care after such implementation of service activities and handling of repairs
- Provision of notices regarding products and services handled by Yamaha and announcements regarding events, etc.
- Provision of announcements regarding products, services, events, and the like of other companies or groups, such as companies affiliated with Yamaha
- Ascertainment of your preferences and wishes in order to provide appropriate information and to develop appropriate products and services
- Provision of information that suits your preferences by integrating information possessed by Yamaha with information obtained from other companies
- Responses to inquiries, requests for brochures, or other requests, etc.
- Accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes
- Exercise of rights or performance of obligations under agreements, laws, and the like
- Screening conducted when applications are submitted for rental instruments, etc.
- Other purposes based on your prior consent
- Any other legal requirements
4. Safety management of personal information
Yamaha implements technical, physical and organizational measures to prevent unauthorized access to personal information and loss, destruction, falsification, divulgence, and the like of personal information and endeavors to protect your personal information through the establishment of a safety management system.
5. Sharing of personal information - to whom does Yamaha disclose your personal information?
Yamaha discloses your personal information for the purpose for which Yamaha collects it. That is, generally, Yamaha will only disclose your personal information for a purpose set out at section 3. This may include disclosing your personal information to third parties engaged to perform administrative or other services including IT service providers, mailing houses, Yamaha’s business partners and, where necessary in connection with the provision of commercial credit, credit reporting bodies and debt collection agencies. This disclosure is always on a confidential basis or otherwise in accordance with law. Yamaha may also disclose your personal information with your consent or if disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Yamaha may entrust to a third party all or part of its operations regarding the processing of your personal information. Yamaha does not approve the use or provision of your personal information by any contractor unless it is necessary for a contractor to conduct such use or provision in order to perform the entrusted operations or to comply with laws and ordinances. Yamaha requires each contractor to protect personal information under an agreement.
Yamaha may share all personal information among the following group corporation: Yamaha Corporation.
When responding to your inquiries, requests for brochures, or any other requests, etc., Yamaha may transfer to the following group corporations the details of your requests (including personal information) transmitted through a “contact us” page on Yamaha websites to the extent deemed necessary for responding to your requests, and the group corporations may use such details in order to respond to your requests:
- Japan: https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/locations/group_companies_japan/ and Yamaha Music Foundation
- Outside Japan: https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/locations/group_companies_worldwide/
Yamaha may otherwise share personal information with a third party if permitted by applicable laws and ordinances.
6. Transfer of personal information
Before disclosing any personal information to an overseas recipient, Yamaha takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme unless you consent to the overseas disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
7. Storage of personal information
Yamaha takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Yamaha holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
Yamaha stores and uses personal information obtained from customers only for the period necessary to perform the purposes of use and will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless Yamaha is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information
8. Processing of children’s personal information
With respect to a child’s personal information, Yamaha obtains consent from statutory agents, such as a person with parental authority over that child, and takes other necessary steps in accordance with applicable laws, ordinances, and the like.
Yamaha may generate cookies and use other similar technologies on Yamaha’s websites. These enable Yamaha to provide each customer with more customized services and advertisements. For more details, please refer to the policy regarding cookies, etc.
10. Direct marketing
Yamaha may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you. In the event you do not wish to receive such communications, you can opt-out by contacting Yamaha via the contact details set out in section 14 or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a marketing communication to you
11. Customer rights regarding personal information
You may hold rights (including, but not limited to, rights pertaining to access, correction, and deletion and rights to suspend the use of personal information) regarding your personal information that Yamaha possesses within the scope of applicable laws and ordinances.
Yamaha takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to access and seek correction of your personal information that is collected and held by Yamaha. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that Yamaha holds about you, or you would like more information on Yamaha's approach to privacy, please contact Yamaha via the contact details set out in section 14. Yamaha will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- Yamaha requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- Yamaha may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Yamaha for providing access in accordance with your request.
If Yamaha refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Yamaha will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. Yamaha will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of Yamaha.
Yamaha will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request.
12. Compliance with laws and ordinances
Yamaha complies with applicable laws, ordinances, and guidelines regarding personal information and performs its social responsibilities as a company.
13. Continuous improvement
Yamaha continually reviews and improves its compliance program (its program for complying with laws, ordinances, and the like) in order to ensure reliable performance of personal information protection.
14. Contact information and privacy complaints
Privacy Compliance Officer
P.O. Box 268
Telephone: +61 3 9693 5111
Facsimile: +61 3 9693 2332
At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Yamaha.
Yamaha’s Privacy Compliance Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Further information on privacy in Australia may be obtained by visiting the web site of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at: http://www.oaic.gov.au/
About linked websites
Yamaha’s websites contain several links to outside websites, but these links are not provided for the purpose of sharing personal information. Our company does not take any responsibilities for the collection of personal information at the linked websites, so please ensure you check details regarding the processing of personal information explained on the linked websites.
Dissemination of information by customers
Yamaha’s services may include chat functions (for conversation), forums (conference rooms), online message boards, response to inquiries via email, and the like. Yamaha does not take any responsibility for personal information transmitted by customers through these services.
When you use these services, please transmit information at your responsibility and discretion.
Matters related to children
Yamaha does not deliberately request or collect personal information from children on our websites.
Any person considered a minor under local laws or any other person under a certain age who attempts to access Yamaha’s websites may use our websites only if they have consent from a statutory agent, such as a person with parental authority.
Yamaha Music Australia Pty Ltd ACN 004 259 527 (“Yamaha”) may collect certain information using cookies and similar technologies for the purpose of analyzing your status of use of the websites or the software, providing each customer with more customized services and advertisements, or for other purposes.
Cookies and similar technologies are used for the following purposes:
- Saving your web browsing history, settings, and the like using cookies on your device enables you to avoid repeatedly entering the same information and enables you to use services that retain data from your previous visits.
- Yamaha may conduct online questionnaires, etc. in order to improve or develop products and services using cookie information generated by third parties affiliated with Yamaha.
Also, companies providing advertisement distribution services affiliated with Yamaha may distribute advertisements about places or content that customers may be interested in using the aforementioned cookie information.
Each company providing advertisement distribution services affiliated with Yamaha administers and manages cookie information transmitted by Yamaha and each company in accordance with a personal information protection policy set out by each company.
- Yamaha may use information collected using cookies and similar technologies in order to improve websites or software where the information is collected or to improve or develop products and services provided by Yamaha, by analyzing such information
and ascertaining your status of use (access status, traffic, routing, and the like) of the websites or the software.
Information may be provided to a company providing analyzing tools used by Yamaha for the purposes stated above.
This allows for the allocation of data, sessions and interactions to a pseudonymous user ID across multiple devices and therefore an analysis of the user's activities across multiple devices. Overall, cookies mean a website can respond to you as an individual and help us provide you with a tailored experience, and more relevant ads via our marketing partnerships such as Google Ads and Facebook. Cookies do not in any way give access to your computer or any information about you other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can stop cookies being saved by amending the relevant setting in your browser software; however, we would like to point out that if you do this, you may not be able to use all of the functions of our website in full. Furthermore, you can stop the data generated by the cookie related to your usage of the website (including your IP address) being collected by Google, and stop Google processing this data by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Opt-out cookies prevent your data from being collected during future visits to our website. To prevent Google Analytics from collecting data across multiple devices, you will have to set an opt-out cookie on each device used by you.
Web services provided by the Yamaha group of companies use Treasure Data for improving websites or mobile applications experiences, analytics, and enabling interest-based advertising by connecting separate customer data with cookies and an encoded customer ID. The information about your use of our web services is generally transferred to a Treasure Data server in the USA, where it is saved.
- Settings for controlling the ads you see in Facebook is available at: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
- Treasure Data's privacy statement can be reviewed at https://www.treasuredata.com/privacy/consumer-statement/ .
- More information on the use of data for marketing purposes by Google is available at: https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads,
- Google's data protection statement can be reviewed at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy.
- If you would like to object against interest-targeted advertising by Google Marketing Services, you can use the settings and opt-out options offered by Google at: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences.
Cookies remain on your device until you delete them, or a specified valid period expires.
Web beacons (sometimes called pixel tags or clear GIFs) include graphics that are not intended for customers. Tracking links and/or any similar technologies include several lines of programming code, which may be embedded in Yamaha’s websites or mobile applications. This technology is mainly used for the purposes of statistical analysis in combination with cookies. This technology can also be used for tracking traffic patterns on websites, as well as sending notifications with respect to emails that are received and opened and checking if any questions, etc. included in emails are already answered.
If a beacon is incorporated into online content, you may reject the beacon by disabling cookies for individual services, as mentioned below. Beacons in emails can be generally disabled if you do not download images included in messages you receive; however, the ability to use this method depends on how your email software functions, so in some cases, this method cannot disable beacons. In such a cases, please suspend distribution arrangements for the email newsletter you subscribe to itself.
Main companies providing advertisement distribution services affiliated with Yamaha and how to suspend distribution of information
|Company name||Service details||Method of suspension|
Main behavioral online analysis tools affiliated with Yamaha and how to suspend distribution of information
|Name of analysis tools||Description||Method of suspension|
|Firebase||https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/||You can suspend distribution of information from the setting screen in the mobile application.|
Other technologies used in connection with distribution and acquisition of information
The following information is only obtained if it is necessary for services provided by products or software.
- Connection to Bluetooth wireless communication
Your device’s Bluetooth wireless communication functions are used to operate equipment that supports Bluetooth communication.
- Access to information regarding music on your device
Some products and software access information regarding music on your device, enabling your device to display lists of, play, and edit playlists of music on your device.
- Location information
Yamaha may obtain information about your location using GPS or other technologies that are installed on products.