In 2022, Yamaha Music Australia’s Education Outreach initiative enters its seventh year with Prof. Rob McWilliams as Education Outreach Clinician. In that time, he has visited hundreds of educational institutions and worked with thousands of music teachers (pre-service and in-service) and aspiring student and community musicians in orchestras, wind bands, jazz ensembles, and many more. A highly respected conductor and musician, Prof. McWilliams has worked closely with secondary institutions, tertiary institutions and professional development providers like ABODA, ASME and government education departments.
In addition to the initiatives outlined above, Yamaha Music Australia is proud to deliver the Yamaha Wind Orchestra – Professional Development Project directed by Prof. Rob McWilliams. Following the outstanding success of this project in 2018 & 2019, Yamaha Music Australia is excited and proud to invite musicians 18 years and older to take part in this unique performance and professional learning opportunity for 2022. This project will provide unparalleled opportunity on two fronts:
- The opportunity to perform in an elite level symphonic wind band, playing top-quality repertoire for a single concert performance in an outstanding venue.
- Access to unique professional development opportunities for musicians and conductors. Through an innovative approach to the preparation and rehearsal process, this initiative will assist musicians and conductors who deal with wind bands in educational institutions and the community. As part of the Yamaha Wind Orchestra, the ensemble members will receive learning materials related to repertoire selection, program design, score preparation / study, rehearsal / conducting techniques and more!
Visit Yamaha Wind Orchestra to learn more.
The Education Outreach team’s work in education and the broader community on behalf of Yamaha continues to significantly contribute to increasing quality and participation in instrumental music around Australia. To access these professional development services (funded fully by Yamaha Music Australia), please Contact Us.
Prof. Rob McWilliams
Education Outreach Clinician - Yamaha Music Australia
EDUCATION OUTREACH POSSIBILITIES & TOPICS
Prof. McWilliams is available to help teachers (in-service or pre-service) and ensemble directors (jazz, concert band or orchestra) at all levels of experience.
• Recruitment, Retention, Advocacy
• Repertoire Selection & Programming
• Score Study & Rehearsal Preparation
• Rehearsal Techniques
• Conducting Gesture & Non-Verbal Communication
• Aural Skills, Intonation Training
• Supporting Resources: Print, A/V, Online, etc
• New Program Setup
• Festival / Competition Prep
ENSEMBLE WORKSHOPS & GUEST CONDUCTING
Teacher Observation, Feedback, and Follow-Up
Working with institutional administrations, program set up and review